Monday, April 28, 2008

"X" Marks the Spot - Day 4

Apparently the mention of things unforeseen was prophetic. I was to have had 2 chest tubes pulled out early this morning, and in preparation various people have examined the lines and the readings on the vacuum system they are attached to. During this exercise, black “X’s” have been placed on the tubes to show which ones are to come out. However, when it is time for the procedure, there is confusion over whether the “X” means “take me out” or “leave me in”. Great consultation and mulling-about ensues with the result that portable in-room x-rays are called for to be on the safe side.

Meanwhile, with all the commotion I haven’t been able to wash (yuck!) which I am in dire need of. Also, the room traffic seems to have scared away the meal-delivery people, and breakfast is a no-show. By the time the x-ray results come back, it is determined that there is still a bit of an air leak happening, and the removal will have to wait another day.

Since my room arrival, the nurses have desperately tried to feed me a lovely clear red capsule. As I never accept any meds at face value without questioning what they are and what they are for, I know that they are to get my bowel functions, um, “flowing” again. As someone with CF, I find this quite comical, as it is really not a usual problem for us. So, each time I have refused to take it, convinced that everything will… work itself out, if you get my drift. Most of the nurses are excellent as far as post-surgical care goes, but a little shy on CF knowledge as this really is not a CF ward, so they’re not as convinced as I. We struck a deal that we’d try it my way and if it didn’t work, my penance would be to receive something more volatile than the little red capsule. So, just to spite them, I manage to have my first post-surgical bowel movement this afternoon. (Aren’t you glad you started reading this blog? No conversation is off-limits!)

No comments: