Monday, April 28, 2008

The Executive Suite - Day 9

Close to lunch time, I’m told that I am going to have to change rooms. I am assured that it will be another private room – on the “B” side of the floor. I am NOT pleased, as I am quite comfortable now in this room. It is nicely personalized with cards, pictures, artwork, and flowers (fake ones, as real ones are a no-no for someone newly immuno-suppressed). However, when I do get myself and all my paraphernalia moved to room #810, THIS is what I find out my new view is……

To my right, BC Place Stadium dome.
North Shore mountains in background.


To my left, Granville Island, Granville & Burrard Street bridges, and English Bay

This is a better view than most 5-star hotel rooms. I’m not complaining about the change of rooms now! On occasion, I also get to see the Air Ambulance arrive or take off. It lands on a roof deck roughly 4 floors below mine. I watch people and equipment being transported, but never did see anyone carrying a cooler full of donor organs!



Now, I have no complaints about my medical care at all, but it has become quickly apparent that not only is there an “A” side and a “B” side to the floor, but there is also an “A” team and a “B” team within the nursing staff. The “A” side gets the most serious patients, and those just discharged from ICU, so therefore requires the more astute staff. The “B” side of the floor is for those patients who are, or who have become, less critical, so perhaps there’s a little more “give” on training levels? I’m not too concerned, as I’m not shy about saying “No” to a nurse regarding a request that I feel is unreasonable. I am quite pleased to find out that Rosemary is my nurse tonight, so obviously my “A” nurses are scheduled occasionally on the “B” side. I have a favourite “top three” who are simply outstanding. No names mentioned, of course.

No comments: