Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Chest Tube - Day 11

Had the best night so far. Awoke to normal blood pressure, temperature, and pulse. The bronchoscopy has shown that I have 2 small pneumothoraces (trapped air in the cavity between my lungs and chest wall). As a result, I have a chest tube put back in again. A resident supervises while a second-year intern performs the task. A nurse helps, and two students look on. This procedure is also done at bedside, and proves to be not nearly as much fun as having the tubes out. However, it was pretty cool when they were inserting the catheter tube into the new incision, advancing it up inside my chest, when there was suddenly a “whoosh” sound. Everyone in the room was greatly pleased with smiles all around, as this meant the tube was in the right place and the trapped air was escaping! Dr. Yee pops in later to tell me that unfortunately, my dreams of going home Friday are now quashed due to the new chest tube, and to count on at least a five-day extension. Boo!

Inhaling a nebulized dose of amphotericin, a particularly rude-tasting antibiotic


My haemoglobin levels have dropped and I’m told that this means I will need a blood transfusion tonight. This is yet one more side effect of the anti-rejection drugs. I am not at all pleased at the thought of a transfusion. When Allisan asks me why, I tell her that the thought of some else’s blood dripping into me just freaks me out, to which she gently replies “Dad. What about the new lungs in your body?” Oh, yeah. If you put it that way…

No comments: