Monday, April 28, 2008

Blood Sugar Hell - Day 18

As I mentioned earlier, I have been giving myself an insulin shot in the morning. It is a specific long-acting type of insulin. On top of this, the nurse administers an extra shot of rapid-acting insulin before the other meals. For the last 3 mornings I have awoken early being hypoglycemic – blood sugars which are too low. It’s easy to recognize – fast heart rate, shakey, starving, and light headed enough to worry about passing out. This is very odd, as it’s backwards to the high blood sugars that I’ve been experiencing. For the last 3 mornings I’ve also had the same nurse… see where this is going? It turns out that in addition to the relatively high dose of 50 units that I’ve been giving myself, she has also been giving me 50 units, which I haven’t noticed as it’s been combined in the same syringe as the rapid which she has been giving me. So, I have been receiving 100 units of the long-lasting insulin – it’s a wonder I haven’t landed in a coma. She claims that it isn’t noted in my chart that I’m taking my own… odd, as it was certainly in my chart prior to that point!

Today’s nurse (one of the top 3 “A” team) de-accesses my IVAD for me (through which I have finally been getting my IV treatment for the last little while) so that I can have my first shower. Yes, that’s right, first shower 18 days after surgery – bliss! Sponge baths just don’t cut it.


With Sandra, an angel disguised as a nurse.


Sandra also removes the stitches from my first four chest tubes (leaving only the stitches from the last one), and my IVAD is re-accessed.

No comments: