Monday, April 28, 2008

Patrolling the Halls - Day 5

I manage to get 2 of the chest tubes pulled this morning. They do this in my room with a bit of local anaesthetic. One of the many wall switches controls a light over my bed referred to in some literature as an examination light. It is so brilliant that is more aptly called by those in-the-know as the Interrogation Light. With said Interrogation Light at full throttle: a couple’a snips, a healthy yank, a stitch or two and that’s that.

The diabetic counselor (which is not to say that the counselor is diabetic, but rather the counselor that does diabetic training) visited today to train me in how to administer my own insulin shots. Turns out not to be a big deal at all – there’s this cool little Novopen dealy-bob that makes it pretty simple.

I’ve been walking in the hall with Bill, the RT aide, who has me wear an O2 saturation monitor (also measures heart rate) just to be sure that I won’t keel over on him mid-stride. He’s pleased with my progress, and says I’m not walking so much like a penguin any more. I’m surrounded by comedians. When I get back to my room, my oxygen sats are at 99%, and my heart rate is 110. The HR may seem high, but as I was 130 at rest pre-transplant I’m very, very pleased. This is when it really hits me about how fortunate I am to be going through a fast recovery. Many others before me have had a much tougher time, some spending weeks just in the ICU. Pretty sobering.

No comments: