Monday, April 28, 2008

Dry as the Desert - Day 2

Somewhere along the line, my femoral IV line has been removed. If you don’t know where that is situated, let’s just say that I’m glad I wasn’t “with it” for either the insertion or the removal! I am so parched I can’t believe it – being this dry is something I’ve never experienced before. I literally have no spit to swallow, and my eyes have no lubrication which causes great difficulty in keeping them open. I would find out later that pre-surgery I had been given a drug that “dries you out” to help prevent fluid from building up in the lungs. Unfortunately, I had been given too much. I desperately want to guzzle a glass of water, but I am on a water restriction and am limited to 1.5 L per day. I am on IV fluids of 1L per day, which only leaves 500 ml – not nearly enough! I try to suffice on ice chips but in my present frame of mind, being banned from drinking is the most irksome thing I’ve had to face.

A morning hug from my daughter.
My left eye is swollen almost shut and will remain that way for days.
Oh yeah, and I'm pretty much stoned...


One of my first post-surgical surprises is diabetes. The drugs cause high blood sugar, to the point that I get my first insulin shot. I’m told that I have a 50/50 chance of coming off insulin “down the road” when the anti-rejection drugs are tapered down a little (which won’t happen for 6 months or so).

A physiotherapist arrives and, 18 hours after the completion of surgery, gets me standing beside the bed (thankfully with her support) and then sitting in a chair. What’s a physiotherapist doing hunting me down in ICU anyway? Can’t a guy get a break? I would have been just as pleased to remain lying in bed, hugging my pillow, where I was somewhat comfortable. Oh well, I know that the faster I’m up and moving around, the faster the anaesthetic will work through my system. My body will have a better chance of a quicker recovery if I “cowboy up” and get on with it.


"Giddyup"

Mentally, moments of clarity seem rather far apart. Much of what happens has to be related to me afterwards… often quite a few times before it registers. Apparently I am a good source of humour for certain family visitors. Did I mention good meds?

No comments: