Monday, April 28, 2008

Feelin' Good, Baby - Day 16

Had a good night. I’m still foggy-headed (what else is new, you ask?) and at this point I’ve no idea which drugs to blame. I’ll be glad when that is past.

I ventured downstairs to the lobby for the first time and walked around, maneuvering alongside my IV pole like those loser patients you see in hospitals…. Went to the coffee shop, sat in a sunny window and treated myself to a lovely mocha with whipped cream (blood sugars be damned!) while I watched the outside world go by. Mentally, this is a huge boost as it feels like a few more steps to freedom. The exercise did some good, as when I got back to my room I hacked up a bronchoscopy leftover and ta-da! The wheeze is gone! Hey, if you’re gonna get grossed out you should never have started reading…

That evening, Dr. Yee stops in with his video camera. He is going out of town to speak to a CF chapter about lung transplantation, and has asked me to speak for a couple of minutes about my experience so that he can share it with the chapter. The 2 minutes turns into 10 as he asks me questions. The combination of the fresh rawness of my experience, together with the prednisone (which can make me choke up at a moment’s notice), makes it the most difficult speaking engagement I’ve had. I’m glad I’ve done it though, and by all later accounts it was well-received.

No comments: