Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Bronch - Day 19

Another bronchoscopy is scheduled for mid morning, just for a little look-see to make sure nothing untoward is going on, and that there are no more surprises lurking in my lobes. Early in the morning, I am once again hypoglycemic (although dosages are now straightened out, so this is presumably a “left-over” of the insulin OD’ing episode) and have some orange juice and crackers to bring the blood sugar levels back up.

Around 10:00 I am wheeled down to the “Bronchoscopy Theatre”. I get the local anaesthetic, my throat is nicely frozen, and the attendant is poised with syringe in hand to give me the happy-time drug when she off-handedly mentions to the doctor that I had orange juice and crackers earlier. The doctor, incredulous, looks at me and says “Really? Then you can’t have a bronchoscopy! If you aspirate during the procedure, it’s game over – there’s nothing I would be able to do!” At first I feel guilty about being unaware of this little tidbit of knowledge, but I get over it when I think about how many medical people upstairs new about it and never mentioned the potential danger. At least I know for next time!

No comments: