Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm Out'a Here!

It’s official – 3 weeks after my transplant, it's discharge day. The IV antibiotics are discontinued, and as I’m a tad impatient, I have already de-accessed the IVAD myself and had a shower by the time the nurse arrives to do the de-access procedure. What can I say? You snooze, you lose!

I pack my bags, put shoes on my feet for the first time in 3 weeks, and take the cards and pictures off of my bulletin board. I have time to reflect on how glad I am to have such a great family and so many friends. Since I was admitted, I’ve had numerous visitors, cards, phone calls, and constant news of supportive emails and Facebook messages. I appreciate it all – they are what have kept me going both during the wait pre-transplant, and my stay in hospital post-transplant. My bosses at Pacific Bindery continue to bend over backwards with their support to accommodate my needs.

I have learned that I am one of the oldest, if not THE oldest, CF adult to receive a lung transplant in B.C.. My age was apparently a topic of consideration at BC Transplant before my acceptance into the program. I am pleased to have proven their judgement correct, and hope that I may have smoothed the entry for other CF adults of my generation (although sadly there aren’t many still around).

I have many other things to be grateful for as well – the whole medical team that has helped me, Vancouver General Hospital, living in B.C. where the surgical costs are covered, all the people at BC Transplant, the CF Clinic at St. Paul’s that have got me to this point, and it couldn’t have happened without my donor and their family. I’ll be eternally grateful to them for giving me their precious gift which is allowing me a second chance at life.


Matt, Me, Dr. Yee, Allisan, & Cheryl


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Larry for sharing your amazing journey with the rest of us folks.
Take care of yourself and your wonderful family!
Colleen Corder

Anonymous said...

Lar,,,,,

Great to see you on Friday - you look awesome - some meat on your bones - little bit of a belly - was that a double chin i saw and muscles in your calves.......WOOOOHOOO