Monday, April 28, 2008

Street Clothes - Day 15

The steri-strips which have been over my incision are removed today, better revealing my surgeon’s handiwork. The incision is a thing of beauty – clean and narrow. Dr. Yee shows his inner geek when, conferring with a colleague, he admires how sinusoidal it is. Everything is held together from the inside, with no exterior stitches. I have polyester netting inside my chest, and my sternum (which has been sawed apart during the surgery) is now held together with a couple of titanium pins and a few loops of baling wire.


The incision, before removal of steri-strips

On the down side, today I have a wheeze in my chest, which I’m told not to worry about. Easy for them to say.

On the plus side, now that all tubes are removed from my chest, I can put on jammies and street clothes! No more wind blowing up my backside from those silly gowns! Now, I’m starting to feel more normal. Which is to say, as normal as I ever am.


No comments: